Friday, August 13, 2010

low weight not related to thryoid or anything else the doc can find (sigh)

Bloodwork & urine came back from the doctors already and it's not my thyroid affecting my weight and other things she tested (electrolytes, etc.) looked OK. I had to have a chest x-ray too (doc concerned about lingering chest congestion and wanted to be sure it's not walking pneumonia- it's not, just postnasal allergy congestion draining into the bronchial tubes).  Seems that doc visit was pointless.  There was a time when I would have been celebrating weighing 95 lb., and the irony is, the last time I weighed this little, I had to exercise 4-5 hr. daily and eat very little.  Now I eat a lot and have stopped going to the gym until my weight is up some and am supplementing with protein shakes and still can't gain weight.

My doctor did say it could be the medication I'm on (it's regarded as weight neutral, which I guess means as many people lose weight on it as gain) or the breastfeeding affecting my weight. I swear, sometimes I eat more than hubby and still can't gain weight. I'm not going back to working out until I get my weight up a bit. It's draining me, and I don't have the energy to do the things I'd like to do with my daughter.  Plus, walking at the gym was a HUGE stress reliever for me.  I don't know.  I may ask my pdoc about changing meds to something else but all the SSRIs tend to make me very, very drowsy.  It would be even more stressful for me if I weaned my daughter before she was ready.  Something has to give though.