Saturday, May 1, 2010

prayers PLEASE (maybe some good news regarding hubby's job situation)

I don't want to get my hopes up yet about this though it's hard not too since this is the first hint of any bite Kelley has had in the job situation category.  Late last night, Kelley told me he got an email from a professor at the University of Houston about a job he'd applied to and they want to have a phone interview with him late Monday afternoon.  (It's some sort of nanotechnology lab manager position at U of H.  I know it's still a long shot, and I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be a miracle if something comes through with this. It would mean a pay cut for Kelley, but we could manage maybe with some occasional help now & again.  This job also appears to make him eligible for the Texas teachers' pension plan (which is supposedly one of the better state pension plans though you have to contribute at least 6% of your salary in, so that's even less take home pay).  But he's been years with ZERO retirement plan, and that's been a worry of ours too.

Now we've got to wait the whole weekend to wait and stew about it, wondering if it might be a miracle for us....It's promising at least because Kelley only applied for that position less than 2 weeks ago (it has to do with manufacture of nanoparticles, I think he described it as not terribly exciting but it would give him good contacts and we think this is going to be the only such facility in the Houston area, so he'd be in charge of taking care of people using it, being sure the equipment works, etc.). Plus, he did seem a pretty good match based on the job description. Kelley also has some contacts at U of H (not people who would be in a position to hire but who have worked with him in the past), in the chemistry & physics department as well as a couple in the biology department. We're still going ahead with our packing plans (I'm organizing books & Kelley the garage, it's already apparent to us we won't get packed by May 7 anyway), but if something comes of this, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

It's frustrating though how these things will happen on a Friday, and you have to wait the whole weekend before you have a feel for the situation.

Pray REALLY, REALLY hard for something to come of this!  We need some good news.  Will keep you updated.


Post a Comment